Posted on 2 Comments

Bike Trip day 2 of 3

I woke at dawn, ate two bananas, and broke camp. I was seven miles from Rising Sun, IN.

Entering the town, I passed a picturesque field of cows with a red barn. The morning seemed full of possibilities. Rising Sun is building a reputation as an art colony on the Ohio River. It’s economy has been primed by the arrival of a casino boat, and the opening of the Pendelton Art Center. Now with a handful of galleries and studios, it is becoming a destination for the art enthusiast.

I had breakfast at Around The Corner-coffee and wine shop, where I met owner and artist, Lynn Englar. She offers wines from Indiana wineries and is part of the Indiana Wine Trail. Lynn is an artist in many mediums. While living in California, she was a mural painter. She is an experienced sculptor and photographer. At the present, her shop features her paintings…fantastic images with a theme of women and wine.

The Pendleton Art Center was not scheduled to open until Wednesday. I told Lynn how much I regretted not being able to visit the center. The last time I visited Rising Sun, the center was not open either. Lynn gave a big smile, and opened a sliding glass door that connected her shop to the art center. She explained some of the artist’s backgrounds, and showed me Olinka Broadfoot’s exhibit in the main gallery.

After my morning birdbath in the town’s public restroom, I mounted my bicycle and began the journey toward Madison, IN. My legs were stiff from the previous day’s peddling, but after a while, i had a momentum that carried me the next 50 miles to Madison. The river provided rich soil for the farms and fields along the Ohio. While traveling, I received a few telephone calls from concerned friends and family, and walked while talking. My dad suggested that I stop at the closest bike shop to have the air in my tires checked. I used a racing bike with very small tires…I try and keep the tire pressure up to 100 pounds, which is not possible to maintain with

the emergency pump that I carry on my bike.

When I arrived in Madison, I stopped at a bike shop located on the main street. The mechanics checked my tire pressure, and I bought an adapter so that I could use regular (schrader) pumps on my bike’s tires. The weather was very humid, and my legs were tired. When I arrived in Madison, I was glad to be at the turnaround part of my journey. It was about 4pm and the afternoon sun did not give many opportunities to take photographs. I took a single photo of me in front of madison’s bridge, then beg

an the trip back home.

Madison’s bridge to Kentucky is not bicycle friendly. It is wide enough for cars only, so I had to stop traffic while i crossed the river.

It was great to be back in Kentucky, and I was excited to get back home. I was hot, and my legs were feeling a bit sore. I made the mistake of passing grocery stores, thinking I would get a little more distance before stopping for dinner. Time passed, and i reached a point where I was starving, and there was no place to find food, or camp.
The sun began to set, and I began to get frantic
, then I entered a small town with a small grocery store complete with bananas, yoghurt, and gatorade. I gratefully bought my dinner, then crawled into the woods for the night.

to be continued

2 thoughts on “Bike Trip day 2 of 3

  1. Ken
    Be careful in this heat! Carry some powerbars and powdered gatorade to lighten the load. I’ll be waiting to hear more/

  2. Hi Kenny,
    You’re becoming such an athlete! I know you’re so disciplined,
    that you have not neglected your artwork! Running and bicycling, what next? I need exercise in my life now, because I have reached an all-time high in my weight, which I will not make known online. I just need to develop some healthy habits! How is Mike? Any new pets? Barbara

Leave a Reply